Brian was in the kitchen today…
Brian's Braaied Yellowtail
- It came complete with all its guts! Ugh! But quite easy to degut.A sharp knife to slice along the dorsal fin on both sides.
- Vertical cuts on both sides. The flesh is now portioned, but still on the whole fish. Pro Tip- finely sliced garlic can be inserted into the cuts.
- Generously baste with lots of olive oil. Salt and pepper just before putting on the fire.
- And into the fish grid it goes. A normal braai grid will also work. This holds the fish firmly in place whilst turning on the fire.
- In the tinfoil we have some brown mushrooms and Jax’s mellazane heating up. See Jax previous post on how to make this. Turned every 5 min for a total of 20 minutes. Pro Tip- put a sheet of tinfoil under fish for first 5 min to minimise burning from hot coals.
- Crispy skin, portions just waiting to be lifted away. That’s why the pre cutting takes place.
- Looking good.Add hot garlic butter (thanks, Jax) and serve!
- Served with a perfect lightly wooded Chardonnay with a citrusy profile to offset the garlic butter.