Whether you call them brinjals, aubergines or eggplants, this salad is healthy, hearty and satisfying. It’s summer here in South Africa and we are all mindful of a better way of eating. Brinjals – The Everything Salad feels more of a meal than a side dish. It’s packed full of delicious vegetables and is a great way to get your #30aWeek recommended plants. My favorite podcast for 2023 has to be Zoe Sciene and Nutrition. These guys will blow your mind about all things, well, science and nutrition. I walk my doggie and she walks me and this is when I take the time to listen to them. Every time I hear them I want to shout it from the roof tops, because they dig really deep and support what they say with backed up science. There is no BS here, if they don’t know the answers, they say so and promptly go in search of the people and scientist who are publishing data about it. They are also very generous with sharing this knowledge for free on their website too. There is full disclaimers too about what they are doing and who is behind it all.
Whatever life stage you are in, Zoe drill down into those areas that interest you. Whether you are pregnant, perimenopausal or aging healthily, there are extensive topics to support your curiosity and “flourish as you age”. Let’s face it we age from the first day we are born.
“Flourish with Age”
Brinjals – The Everything salad is a variation of my Aubergine and Mielie Salad. So for an alternative dressing or more ideas of what you can throw into The Everything salad click on that link for inspiration. Check out the Exotic Mushroom Bulgur Wheat too as an accompaniment to The Everything Salad. May your 2024 be filled with my Brinjals – The Everything Salad and so much more that allows you to “flourish with age”
The Everything Salad
- 2 brinjals about 450g
- 3 tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp ea ground cumin, coriander and cumin seeds
- 40 g rocket
- 70 g pitted green Manzanilla olives 180g bag from Woolworths in brine
- 1 avocado
- 2 sweetcorn kernels from 2 cobs 2 cobs pre cooked in microwave for 8 minutes
- 6 – 8 caper berries halved
- 80 g beetroot spirals
- 3 – 4 sprigs ea fresh basil leaves, origanum and mint roughly torn
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts toasted and chopped
- 2-3 Tbls raspberry vinegar
- 6 – 8 Tbls avocado oil
- Pre-heat oven to 220ºC. Cover a baking tray with baking paper
- Cut each 2 brinjals into 8 wedges (halve lengthways, then half and half again). Coat in 3 tbls olive oil and 1 tsp ea ground cumin, coriander and cumin seeds . Place on baking tray and bake for 30 – 35 min. Check after 20 minutes and move around if the ones on the edge are burning. Set aside until you assemble the salad. I make these in advance along with pre cooking the sweetcorn. So all that's left to do is assemble when the guests arrive.
- On a platter spread out the 40 g rocket and top with the rest of the ingredients don't forget to add the binjals too. 70 g pitted green Manzanilla olives 1 avocado, 2 sweetcorn kernels from 2 cobs, 6 – 8 caper berries halved , 80 g beetroot spirals, 3 – 4 sprigs ea fresh basil leaves, origanum and mint, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts toasted and chopped
- Whisk the 2-3 Tbls raspberry vinegar and 6 – 8 Tbls avocado oil And set aside until ready to serve. Drizzle over salad just before sitting down to enjoy.