Can can can you do the can can, YES!!!! I CAN If I feel lazy and want comfort food with no effort, I raid the pantry for CANS. Here’s my Chicken and Bean Casserole. Very easy and relatively quick. I love beans. I hope you do too. It’s spicy! You can pull back on that by not putting in the cayenne pepper and paprika. Maybe add more cumin and coriander. Also replace chilli beans with regular baked beans. If you don’t like beans, scroll along…Like and share my post
Chicken and Bean Casserole
- Ingredients here and quantities to follow in photos below. Tip never cook chicken straight out of fridge. Leave to come to room temperature. Cold chicken straight into hot pan makes chicken tough.
- Add a glug glug glug of olive oil to a bowl add tsp of surprise ingredient Portuguese Chicken Spice
- Add chicken fillets salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Remove sausages from pan and place in container for later
- Now add chicken fillets to same grill pan grill for a min or 2 on each side until just done
- Place chicken in clean bowl until later
- Chop onion and slice and fry chorizo. I had about 5cm left in fridge. You can use bacon too
- The chorizo will give off a bit of oil.
- Add onions and fry for 2 min
- Now add spices. 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, Spanish paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin. And 2 tsp dried oregano and finely sliced garlic. Stir and cook for 1 min
- Add 1 Tbls tomato paste
- Cook for a further 1-2 min until it looks like it's starting to burn. Yes that's where the flavours get unlocked
- Now add all the cans first with tomatoes
- Then Mexican tomatoes
- Followed by baked beans
- And cannellini beans. I added 2
- Now for a can of water. Stir and cook for 45 min or longer until the water reduces and the sauce thickens.
- When you are ready to serve add the sausages (I only used 16 sausages out of the 26. I grilled the others for snack later)Add the cooked chicken fillets and heat through for about 5 minutes
- Serve with fluffy rice
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below!