I felt like pastrami yesterday. The only problem is I didn’t have the right ingredients. So I used salt beef from Weyers. Thank you to toriavey.com for your recipe. The right piece of meat to use for traditional pastrami is brisket. The salt beef from Weyers Meat is silverside. It’s a dryer cut with less fat, it still tasted good though. The smokey flavors from the paprika were amazing. I served this with creamy potato bake.
- Salt beef
- Ground coriander
- Smoked paprika
- 1,1-1.4kg brisket. I used salt beef here pepper, ground coriander, smoked paprika
- Creamy potato bake. Potatoes onion cream salt and pepper. I don't usually put mustard powder in my potato bake but I felt like this for the "pastrami"
- Slice thinly and serve with mustard and creamy potato bake. We also added creamed horseradish mixed in with the mustard as an afterthought at the table. Nice flavours
- To a bowl add 1/4 cup ground corianderGround coriander
- 1-2 Tbls freshly ground black pepperPepper
- 2 Tbls smoked paprikaSmoked paprika
- Put 4 cups of water into roasting pan with rack
- Rub the spice mix all over the meat.
- Leave to come to room temperature for 2 hours covered
- Place on rack fat side down. The recipe calls for 3-4hours slow and low roasting
- Place in 150°C preheated oven for 3-4 hours or until meat reaches internal temperature of 93.3‘°C.
- Pat Boil potatoes in Salt water with skins on for 20 min. Leave to cool and peel. The skins are easier to remove this way and you also waste less potato
- Wafer thin slice an onion
- Salt pepper and mustard bottom of ovenproof dish
- Slice potato about 5mm thick
- Assembly time
- Layer onion on top of seasoning
- Arrange potatoes on top of onion and season between each potato layer until all the ingredients are used
- Pour over 250ml (1 cup) of cream
- Cover in foil and bake in preheated 180°C oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 20 min uncovered.
- Creamy potato bake is a great acompanyment to a good casserole too.
- Serve and enjoy. Leftovers can be used on sandwiches the next day. Great for snacking on a slice or two for hungry teenagers in between meals.