Whip up your own mayo in no time at all by following these easy step by step instructions to make my olive oil mayonnaise. I prefer monounsaturated oils like avocado oil, olive oil. Bertolli makes a delicate olive oil that works perfectly for this mayonnaise balancing the flavour of the mayonnaise to taste like mayonnaise and not peppery olive oil. It’s a treat. Use it in my Cranberry Coleslaw for extra health benefits
Olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 7 ml lemon juice
- 7 ml water
- 280 g Bertolli Delicato olive oil (1 1/4 cups)
- 5 ml Himalayan salt
- 5 ml Hot English Mustard
- 1/2 tsp (3ml) Apple cider vinegar
- Add the yolk, lemon juice and water to the bowl Whisk to mix
- Drizzle in the olive oil in a continuous stream whilst continuing with whisking. Steady and slowly will result in a beautiful creamy vervet mixture. *TASTE*
- Now add the salt, mustard and vinegar and mix until incorporated. *TASTE*
- If you like it more tangy add more lemon juice. Just a tiny bit at a time. Pour into a sterilised glass jar and store in the fridge.
- I like making my own mayonnaise because I control what oil I want to use. The delicate olive oil is better for my heart that’s why I use it.I prefer to also cut my mayo with a bit of yoghurt. I’m not a big fan of overly tangy mayonnaise, I think the tang hides the true flavour of a good mayonnaise. Make a batch and spoon out the quantity you need and then add your extra flavours, like grated garlic, basil, oregano or any other favourite. This is a great way to experiment with different herbs too. And if you don’t like the experiment you haven’t wasted an entire batch of good quality olive oil mayonnaise.
- serve with egg and pastrami toast and fresh chopped chilli