When I’m tired or in a hurry this is my favourite to cook. One pan wonders are easy, no fuss cooking that suits me perfectly. At the beginning of my week I try to do a menu for each day to come. This helps me to be more organised when I go shopping. I know exactly what I will need in my trolley without the temptation of adding anything extra. The menu also helps reduce waste at the end of the week as I don’t have any extra ingredients in my fridge waiting to be used. I usually start with high expectations of what I will be able to cook that week and invariably I get too busy or lazy or just lack inspiration when staring at a wilted carrot or other hopeful vegetable. With my menu at the ready, I know exactly what I need to do in order to get the meal on the table as quick as possible. I used to also delegate the prep work in the morning so that it was all ready to go by the time I walked into my kitchen after a long day at my office. With just Brian and I at home these days I do all of the prep work myself. With that in mind I’m mostly looking for quick and easy dishes like this one. No one likes washing up too many pots and pans. This is a perfect healthy midweek dinner in one pan. Add some pasta or a salad to make it more substantial. Always light a candle to make it feel romantic, thanks to Eskom we are getting to feel a lot of that lately 😜.
Quick and easy rainbow trout dinner
- 220g rainbow trout skin side scored
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 4 big mushrooms peeled and chopped
- 4 spinach leaves center vein removed chopped
- 4 courgettes sliced2 garlic cloves chopped
- In a pan fry spring onions in olive oil until translucent add mushrooms and leave to cook for 3 minutes. Toss and flip pan allowing mushrooms to turn over. Imagine you’re a celebrity chef 👩🍳
- add spinach and cook until just wilted
- Add garlic stir 30 seconds then add courgettes (baby marrow) stir together for about 2 minutes allowing them to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Now move the mix to one half of the pan
- Season the trout and place the scored side of the fish in the pan add a touch more olive oil if necessary to create that sizzling sound leave for 2 minutes until brown then flip and repeat on other side.
Serve with penne pasta or salad