- 16 organic free range chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar and 2 Tbls brown sugar
- 25 ml each dark and light soy sauce
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns lightly crushed in mortar and pestle to release flavours
- 2 tsp chopped chilli
- 8-12 cloves fresh garlic smashed with the back of a knife and roughly chopped I used 8 because they were big
- 3 bay leaves loosely torn
After marinading for 3 hours
- 3 spring onion sliced thinly
- 2 Tbls sesame seeds
Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Place the chicken thighs in a casserole dish large enough to fit in a single layer. Pour the marinade over the chicken and marinade for 3 hours. Turn every now and then to ensure maximum flavour penetration.
Put oven on to 180ºC
Pour chicken stock over marinated chicken and bake in 180°C for 25-30 min. (My chicken thighs were small, if yours are larger make sure the juice runs clear.) Remove from the oven to check that chicken is properly cooked. The sauce will be very runny and the juices from the chicken will make a lovely chicken stock. Pour these juices into a pan and reduce until thick. Alternatively to thicken add 1 Tbs of maizena to a cup, mix with a bit of water and add to the chicken juices to thicken. I prefer to use the reduction method to thicken the sauce.
Put the oven grill on and brown the chicken until skin is crispy. About 3 minutes ensure the shin doesnt burn. Remove and drizzle with reduced garlic and black peppercorn sauce, spring onion and sesame seeds
Serve on a bed of fluffy steamed basmati rice and sesame broccoli and green beans.