This exotic mushroom bulgur wheat is a great side dish or a building block to a vegetarian dish. It is a good option for when you are entertaining too, as you can prepare everything ahead of time and then assemble just before serving. No one really likes to be stuck in the kitchen over the holidays, or anytime for that matter either, so this exotic mushroom bulgur wheat is another great option for a meal that comes together very quickly.
I served this to a few friends and they all loved it, along with grilled prawns and a big salad. I think I need to call it The Everything Salad because all that’s missing is the kitchen sink almost. On a large platter toss rocket leaves, avo, grilled eggplant wedges, corn kernels, basil, mint and origanum leaves, caper berries, spiralised beetroot and manzanilla olives. Drizzle with raspberry vinegar and loads of avocado oil and chopped raosted macadamia nuts. I wanted to enjoy the company of my friends and making them a meal with love so I didn’t take photo’s. These stunning images are from my darling friend, Debs. She is here for the holidays and a wedding and I couldn’t be happier.
Healthy monounsaturated oils like avo and olive oils are essential for maintaining cells in your body. There are numerous other benefits too, so I try to eat olive oil and avo oil more than any other oil. The smoke point of avo oil is also high, at 271ºC so its a very stable oil to cook with.
Added fun fact – Bulgur wheat is great for your kidneys too.
Exotic mushroom bulgur wheat
- 250 g bulgur wheat
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 ml water
- 3 tbls olive oil
- 150 g onion finely chopped 1 large onion
- 400 g mixed mushrooms roughly chopped king oyster, shiitake, shimeji, portabellini. Woolies do a 300g pack of exotic mushooms which I used along with about 100g of portabellini
- 3 garlic cloves large finely chopped
- 2 tbls toasted pine nuts
- Cook according to packet instructions. OR in a frying pan on medium high heat add the bulgur wheat and dry fry for about 3 minutes stirring to evenly toast on all sides. This brings out the natural nutty flavours of the wheat. Add the water, olive oil and salt stir ingredients to combine and cook to ensure that all the liquid evaporates. 7 minutes should be about right. Fork to fluff up the grains, cover and set aside until ready to assemble.
Exotic mushroom mix
- Add olive oil to large frying pan and add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes until tanslucent. Add the garlic and fry for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped mushrooms and continue to stir to coat them with the onion mix. Leave to cook away any moisture and get a golden colour on the mushrooms. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- Reheat the bulgur in the microwave if you made this in advance. Stir through extra olive oil or avocado oil as an alternative monounsaturated fat. Do the same for the mushroom mix
- Stir mushrooms through the bulgur wheat and add pinenuts. Check seasoning. Serve as is or add grilled haloumi, and rocket to liven it up.