We all went a bit nuts baking banana bread during 2020. It’s not until February 2021 that I felt I’d nailed my recipe. This was inspired by Helen Goh and I’m truly satisfied with the results. I gave it to my husband to taste. He was quiet as he enjoyed it except for the mmmmmhhhh’s!!! and aaaaaahhhhh’s!!!! that escaped his full mouth. His first actual words uttered were ‘it’s light’ followed by “it’s delicate” and then “it’s flavourful”. Shortly, hot on the heals of those words were the one’s I always eagerly await “it’s PERFECT!”. Not to boast, oh what the hell I’ve never shied away from that, I knew already. I didn’t need him to say it. I flipping nailed this banana bread.
I baked a loaf, 900g along with 6 little hearts the first time around and then I tested with various baking pans. This recipe is versatile and you can use any pan, but obviously you will need to adjust the baking times. I have made suggestions in the recipe to help you along with this if you are not a regular baker. Another little bonus was my Tahini Honey Butter, what a lovely little marriage made in heaven this was.
Once out of the oven leave to cool down for 15 min in the pans before turning them out onto a wire rack. I am not a fan of icing so I haven’t included a recipe for that here. If I was going to add icing it would probably be a coffee or caramel based one or try the Tahini Honey Butter as an icing alternative. Each small cake will serve 6 slices. I have conservatively estimated 12 in the recipe but it they can serve 18 small pieces. If you decide to make muffins this recipe will be enough for 36.
Banana Apple and White Chocolate Cake
- hand mixer
- 15 g Tahini I used Sobaba
- 265 g bananas mashed aprox 3
- 170 g granny smith apples peeled and grated aprox 2 small medium apples
- 3 exl eggs 160g
- 250 g brown sugar
- 150 ml milk Room Temperature
- 60 ml delicate oilve oil Bertolli Delicato
- 5 ml Vanilla extract
C-Ingredients sift and whisk together
- 75 g almond flour
- 200 g cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g pecan toasted and chopped
- 60 g walnuts toasted and chopped
- 60 g white chocolate roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 180ºC or 160ºC fanassist. Batter yeilds about 1440g
- Grease and line with baking paper 3 x 15cm baking pans batter per pan +- 480g per pan 45-50 min(Alternative pans can be used but baking times need to be adjusted. mini bundt pans 12-15 min small novelty pans like my heart shaped ones 20 min900g Loaf 21cm x 11cm x 6cm 50 min)
- gather all your ingredients
- Mix mashed banana and apple together. Add tahini and stir to cover Set aside
- In separate bowl, cream together the eggs and sugar until light and creamy in colour.
A and B
- Pour the Milk mix into the egg mix and gently incorporate together. Now fold in the banana mix
- with the mixer set to low speed, gently add ½ the flour mix to the rest of the batter. Mix slowly. Repeat with the next ½ of the flours.
D – reserve 1 small handful for tops of cakes
- Fold nuts and chocolate into batte . Pour batter (about 480g per pan) into 3 x 15cm prepared cake pans, sprinkle with reserved nuts and chocolate.
- Place pans on a baking sheet and place on 2nd shelf from bottom of preheated oven . Bake for 45 to 50 minutues. At 35 minutes ensure they are not browning too fast. If so place a sheet of tinfoil on top.
- Remove from oven and leave in pans for 15 minutes to cool before flipping on to wire racks to cool completely .
- serve with Tahini Honey Butter